John Ferrara, Esq.
I graduated law school in 1983 and have been practicing law full time ever since. I have tried hundreds if not thousands of cases, mostly in the areas of family law including child custody and divorce, and criminal defense. I have appealed over one hundred cases. In 2013, I received the New York State Bar Association’s award for Attorney Professionalism. My goal in each case is to formulate a plan with the client as an active partner, to probe that plan for its strengths and weaknesses, to exploit the strengths and address the weaknesses, all in an effort to achieve the client’s desired result through litigation or settlement.
Areas of Practice:
- 75% Family Law including divorce
- 25% Criminal Law
- 95% of Practice Devoted to Litigation
- New York, 1984
- American University, Washington College of Law, Washington, District of Columbia
- SUNY Stony Brook, Storny Brook, New York
- Major: Philosophy
- People v. Kiah, 156 A.D.3d 1054 (3rd Dept. 2017)
- People v. Roberts, 72 N.Y.2d 489 (Court of Appeals 1988)
- People v. Grimm, 107 A.D.3d 1040 (Appellate to Division 2013)
- People v. Rosa, 30 A.D.3d 905 (Appellate Division 2006)
- In re Andre M., 26 A.D.3d 713 (Appellate Divsion 2006)
- In re Frederick MM, 23 A.D.3d 951 (Appellate Divsion 2005)
- Lounsbury v. Lounsbury, 300 A.D.2d 812 (Appellate Division 2002)
- Bukovinsky v. Bukovinsky, 299 A.D.2d 786 (Appellate Division 2002)
- In re Joshua II, 296 A.D.2d 646 (Appellate Division 2002)
- Klein v. Klein, 251 A.D.2d 733 (Appellate Division 1998)
- People v. Bazalar, 211 A.D.2d 839 (Appellate Divsion 1995)
Honors and Awards:
- New York State Bar Association Attorney Professionalism, 2013 – Present
Professional Associations and Memberships:
- Sullivan County Bar Association, 1986 – Present
- New York State Bar Association, 2013 – Present
Past Employment Positions:
- Sullivan County Legal Aid Society, Staff Attorney, 1986 – 1991
- Private Practice of Law, Attorney, 1991 – 2014
The Law Offices of John Ferrara.
"I contacted Mr. Ferrara after having been brought to court three times in four years by my ex. From the initial consultation, it was clear that I was dealing with a consummate professional..."
"Mr. Ferrara was ALWAYS a fair, professional, respectful, knowledgeable and compassionate attorney. Due to the nature of my case, Mr. Ferrara and I worked together for many years."
"John Ferrara represented my husband and me in a family court matter. He returned every call and email. He met with us numerous times to review our case, explain things to us..."